2008

2008

Krakowskie Przedmieście

2008 – Krakowskie Przedmieście

On 21 June 2006 on Plac Piłsudski in Warsaw, a ceremony took place for the signing of a contract with the Capital City of Warsaw represented by the Municipal Roads Administration (Zarząd Dróg Miejskich) for the “Modernisation of the road surface for Krakowskie Przedmieście Street in Warsaw at the section from Świętokrzyska Street to Royal Castle Square.” The Polish president Lech Kaczyński took part in the contract signing ceremony. The roadway of Krakowskie Przedmieście was narrowed to two lanes and the pavements were broadened. The roadway was covered with granite brick-stone and the pavement with granite tiles.

Construction period: 2006 – 2008

1945

1945

first project of the company: Prince Józef Poniatowski Bridge

The act of incorporation of the Company for the Construction of Bridges and Steel Structure Mostostal [Przedsiębiorstwa Budowy Mostów i Konstrukcji Stalowych Mostostal] – which was the first name of the Company – was drawn up on 28 May 1945, only three weeks after the end of the World War II. Initially, the company was based in Krakow (at that time, Warsaw was completely devastated); however, Mostostal was connected with the capital from the very beginning. The first task for the newly established company was rebuilding of the important Warsaw thoroughfare the Prince Józef Poniatowski Bridge. Work started at the end of July and beginning of August 1945, and the bridge was put into operation only 12 months later on 22 July 1946. In subsequent years, Mostostal built hundreds of bridges over most of main Polish rivers, including most Warsaw’s bridges. In 1951, the company moved to Warsaw permanently and the scope of company’s operation was extended to industrial and energy construction works and all types of large-sized and specialist steel structures. It is impossible to list all of the investments; however, it is enough to say that Mostostal employees were present at all of the most important construction sites in the country and on many sites abroad.

Construction period: 28 May 1945 – 22 July 1946.

1949

1949

Śląsko-Dąbrowski Bridge

1948 – Śląsko-Dąbrowski Bridge.

The bridge’s name is a tribute to the miners and steelworkers from the Silesia and Zagłębie Dąbrowskie regions for their participation in the rebuilding of destroyed Warsaw. The bridge was designed by Jerzy Koziełek and is an integral part of Trasa W-Z (East-West Route), which connected Praga with Śródmieście and Wola on 22 July, 1948.

Construction period: 1947 – 1949

1955

The Palace of Culture and Science

1955 – The Palace of Culture and Science.

Up until the 1990s, the highest building in Poland (in terms of total height) was located in Warsaw’s Śródmieście district at Plac Defilad 1. It was a “gift from the Soviet people to the Polish nation”. The building, constructed according to the design of Soviet architect Lev Rudnev, is inspired by Moscow skyscrapers, which are in turn inspired by American art déco skyscrapers.

Construction period: 1952 – 1955

1959

1959

The Gdansk Bridge

1958 – The Gdansk Bridge

The bridge was constructed according to design of Janusz Ratyński. It was an element of the Stefan Starzyński Bridge Route and was constructed on the pillars of the bridge that had been blown up by the Germans on 13 September 1944 and that had been the first rail and road bridge (then only road bridge) built in 1873-1875 next to the Citadel.The two-level bridge concept was recreated.

Construction period: 1957 – 1959

1965

1965

The Grand Theatre

1965 – The Grand Theatre

The present location of the Grand Theatre used to be where the Marywil commercial centre and hotel was situated. Marywil was demolished in the 1930s and in 1825-1833 the theatre was built in its place based on a design by Antonio Corazzi.In September 1939, the building was bombed and largely consumed by fire.  

After WW II, the theatre was rebuilt in the historicising socialist realism style and it was extended (by the design of Bohdan Pniewski under the supervision of Arnold Szyfman) with funds from the Social Fund for Rebuilding the Capital. As a result it was the most developed and best-equipped opera theatre in the world. On 19 November 1965, the opening ceremony of the rebuilt Grand Theatre took place. At the beginning of the 21st century, Mostostal Warsaw also constructed the sculpture of Apollo that decorates the theatre’s front façade.

Construction period: 1963 – 1965

1969

1969

The Rotunda Building

1966 – The Rotunda Building

1966 – The Rotunda Building is a part of the Eastern Wall, which was built by Mostostal Warsaw (Domy Towarowe Centrum and first Warsaw high-rises) in 1960-1969. The building was designed by Jerzy Jakubowicz. On 15 February 1979, 70% of the Rotunda building was destroyed as a result of gas explosion causing the deaths of 49 people and 110 people injured. Reconstruction was carried out very quickly – the Rotunda building was once again put in operation at the end of October 1979. One of the main changes compared to the original building was the use of dimmed glass for the façade.

Construction period: 1965 – 1966

1974

1974

The Royal Castle

1974 – The Royal Castle

In September 1939, the castle burnt down after German bombing and on 4 October 1939 in Berlin, Adolf Hitler ordered that the castle be blown up; however, the final destruction of the building took place during the Warsaw Uprising between 8 and 13 September 1944. After the destruction from 1944, the only elements to survive were the basements, the lower part of Grodzka Tower, elements of the Royal Library and the Kubicki Arcades. The decision to rebuild the castle was taken by the Sejm on 20 January 1971. Afterwards, the Civic Committee for the Reconstruction of the Royal Castle in Warsaw was established. By July 1974, the castle was reconstructed as a building shell (the plan was to  restore it to its condition from before 1939 and recreate elements that were eliminated during earlier reconstructions).

Construction period: 1971 – 1974

1975

1975

The Polish Parliament

1975 – The Polish Parliament

The Polish Parliament complex – a set of buildings located in Warsaw at 4/6/8 Wiejska Street, used by the Sejm and Senate of the Republic of Poland. The complex construction started after the re-establishment of Polish independence in 1918. All the structures located within the complex together with the gardens are managed by the Chancellery of the Sejm. Mostostal Warsaw modernised the Assembly Room, disassembled the roof and replaced it with a new roof structure.

Construction period: 07.1975 – 08.1975

1977

1977

Children's Memorial Health Institute

1977 – Children's Memorial Health Institute

The institute is a scientific and R&D centre for the Ministry of Health, which also operates as a hospital and at the same time is a monument for the child victims of WWII.

It is known as the most modern children’s hospital in Poland and provides medical, rehabilitation, scientific and teaching services. It consists of 17 wards, 29 independent clinics, a hospital pharmacy and a complex of disease-specific out-patient clinics.

Construction period: 3 June, 1973-31 May, 1977

1981

1981

The General Stefan “Grot” Rowecki Bridge

1981 – The General Stefan “Grot” Rowecki Bridge

The first plans for the bridge were made in the 1960s, according to which it was to be suspended on two pylons. The design was changed due to the high costs of construction. However, the initial design of the bridge was implemented but on a smaller scale as a footbridge over the Wkra river in Pomiechówek next to Goławice. The final project was developed by the Stolica design office engineers under the supervision of Witold Witkowski.

Construction period: 1977 – 1981

1983

1983

The Warsaw Metro

1983 – The Warsaw Metro

On 15 April 1983, the first steel pile was hammered into the ground at the tunnel construction site in the Ursynów district. This date is regarded as the starting point of the construction of the Metro. The first stations were opened in 1995 and 25 years later on 25 October 2008, the first line of Warsaw Metro was completed with the opening of the three final stations (Stare Bielany, Wawrzyszew and Młociny). Therefore, over the 25 years, 21 stations as well as the technical and holding station STP Kabaty were built. Mostostal Warsaw carried out the complete interior design and furnishing at stations A1 (Kabaty) to A12 (Centrum), station A 18 (Wawrzyszew) and station A19 (Stare Bielany) and A20 (Wawrzyszew) together with connecting tunnels.;

1992

1992

Czajka Wastewater Treatment Plant

1992 – Czajka Wastewater Treatment Plant

Thethen largest wastewater treatment plant in Poland. Its capacity was around 400 million m3 /24h and it serviced the entire right bank of Warsaw.

Construction period: 1985 – 1992

2000

2000

The Świętokrzyski Bridge

2000 – The Świętokrzyski Bridge

The first suspension bridge in Poland was opened on 6 October 2000 connecting the Powiśle district with Praga Północ in the vicinity of Port Praski. The bridge with the flyover is 479 meters long, it has two lanes each way for vehicles and two lanes for pedestrians and cyclists. The cable-stayed construction is supported by a 90-metre-long pylon to which 48 cables are attached supporting the deck. The pylon is placed on the right bank of Vistula river, and on the left side it is supported by two bearings embedded on the bottom of the river. A maintenance lift is located inside the northern part of pylon. From the optical point of view, the bridge seems to be light (lack of classic pillars); however, it consists of seven spans together with the access flyovers.

Construction period: 1998 – 2000

2008

2008

Krakowskie Przedmieście

2008 – Krakowskie Przedmieście

On 21 June 2006 on Plac Piłsudski in Warsaw, a ceremony took place for the signing of a contract with the Capital City of Warsaw represented by the Municipal Roads Administration (Zarząd Dróg Miejskich) for the “Modernisation of the road surface for Krakowskie Przedmieście Street in Warsaw at the section from Świętokrzyska Street to Royal Castle Square.” The Polish president Lech Kaczyński took part in the contract signing ceremony. The roadway of Krakowskie Przedmieście was narrowed to two lanes and the pavements were broadened. The roadway was covered with granite brick-stone and the pavement with granite tiles.

Construction period: 2006 – 2008

NOW

NOW

2015 >

Entertainment and sports hall TAURON ARENA in Cracow

Hall located on aleja Pokoju Street and Stanisława Lema Street in Cracow is modern entertainment and sports facility which meets all international standards. Moreover, it is worth mentioning that it is the bigest venue of its kind in Poland.

Hall seating capacity varies depending on the set-up of the event from 11 554 to aproximately 18 000 seats (seating capacity averages 15 328 of people for typical event as volleyball match) which is positioning it on the first place among this type of facilities. At the disposal of the guests are available 1341 parking spots, 27 sky boxes and president lodge. Construction of the facility started in May 2011 and finished in April 2014. The opening ceremony took place at the end of May 2014. The scope of the investment covered, apart from main hall, construction of training hall and two-level underground garage with internal installations and construction of access roads,  surface parking lots, squares and pedestrian passages. The hall was, among others, one of the sporting arenas of Volleyball World Championship 2014 which were organized in Poland. Tauron Arena Kraków gained the first place in a prestigious contest titled: Construction of the Year 2014 in the category Sports facilities.

Implementation period: 2011-2014